Driving in a foreign country

Visitors to the U.S. are required to have a valid driver’s license. An International Driving Permit (IDP) is needed in some states. It is wise to check the local laws before you arrive.

An IDP must be acquired before entering the U.S., as they are not issued within this country. You can purchase one in your own country, at the motor vehicle department.

If you plan on renting an automobile, be aware that both, a driver’s license and IDP, may be required, says DriverKnowlege, permit test website. Some believe that car-sharing services allow you to escape the IDP requirement. Even if you arrange a car without a hassle, do not assume you are exempt from the law.

Your other major concern is costly insurance. While the rental agency will gladly provide your insurance, for a hefty fee, that does not mean you need it. Often your credit card agency covers you. This is overlooked by most travelers, so check it out to save money. If you plan on driving in the U.S. for more than a month, the rental agency fees can be excessive. Do look into a short-term plan offered by a major insurance carrier.

For U.S. citizens traveling abroad, an IDP is redundant. Many drivers purchase the document because it provides a handy translation. There is confusion that the IDP is a valid license, rather than your state issued one. Do not forget to take the latter with you when traveling.

Are motorcycle drivers subject to the same rules?
Yes, you need a valid motorcycle license when riding in a foreign country, explains motorcycle permit test experts.

Related resources
Acceptable identification for airline travel
How to fly with cash

Driving in a foreign country
http://airsafe.com/journal/v1num21.htm -- 6 June 2017